The Q-Box RP1LP Low Range Respiration Package is designed to measure the metabolic rate of small animals such as insects, reptiles, amphibians and other invertebrates in an open-flow or stop-flow gas exchange system. Automatic calculations of VO2 and VCO2 are displayed in the software during data collection. The Q-Box RP1LP Low range Respiration System is also used for measurements of CO2 and O2 exchange in fruit fly (Drosophila Melanogaster). When combined with the Gas Switching System measurements of respiration rates and RQ are possible on up to 7 organisms (8 channel system including reference).
Open flow measurements of respiration are used for larger, or more active animals, whereas for measurements of very small changes in pO2 during respiration of small insects such as fruit fly (Drosophila Melanogaster) the system may be used in a stop flow configuration.
In the latter, the flow is stopped for a period of time to allow accumulation of CO2 and decline in O2. With the subsequent opening of the flow the gas is swept through the sensors for measurements. The opening and stoppage of the flow through the chamber with the animal is achieved automatically through user-specified periods of time in the software.
- Modular Gas Exchange Measuring System
- Includes CO2 and O2 analyzers
- Components interchangeable with other Q-Box Packages
- Automated calculations of VCO2 and VO2
- Both Open and Stop Flow measurements
- Housed in a rugged box for easy transport and set up
- Use in a lab or field (with an optional battery pack)